Stair lifts are an important aid for older adults and people with mobility issues. These devices feature a motorized seat that moves over a track along a staircase, carrying the user safely and comfortably to the next level. Exterior stair lifts are installed on outdoor staircases, resolving the challenges posed by outdoor staircases and allowing users to enjoy the freedom of the outdoors.
Lifts Built for the Outdoors
Going outdoors poses many challenges for people with physical disabilities, including the fear of slips and falls when negotiating an outdoor staircase. Installing a stairlift on the steps leading from the front door to the sidewalk would give them the freedom to go outside safely and effortlessly. These devices allow smooth access over all steps that are exposed to the outdoors such as garden, garage, sundeck, porch or basement steps. A variety of innovative models of exterior stair chair lifts are available today to suit different types of staircase configurations such as straight or curved.
Generally, stair chair lifts for outdoor staircases come with most of features of an indoor model. However, they are unique in that are designed to be weather-resistant. Most lifts feature a compact and fold-away design so that it can be folded and kept out of the way when not in use. This ensures that normal stair traffic is not obstructed. The key features of these outdoor models include:
- Weather-resistant cover
- Hand-held remote control
- Seat belt
- Swivel seat
- Safety sensors on the power pack and footplate to automatically stop operation if any obstruction is encountered on the lift’s path
- Fully automatic hinge track
Popular Exterior Stair Lift Models
- Bruno Elite Exterior – Bruno Elite Exterior comes in two different models – SRE-2010E for straight stairways and CRE-2110E for curved stairways. The CRE-2110E can be customized to suit any type of curved staircase and features a rail design for improved stability. These lifts allow users to navigate an outdoor staircase easily, safely and comfortably.
- Handicare 1000 – Designed to fit on even the narrowest stairs, this model includes a waterproof cover to keep it protected from inclement weather. It comes with a load capacity of 350 lbs and is integrated with a wide range of safety features such as seatbelt for added security, auto-swivel seat, foldable footplate and automatic or manual hinged track.
- Handicare 2000 – This UV-protected, weatherproof stair lift comes with the tightest track bends can be built to custom fit virtually on any curved stairways. Seat options include ‘Smart’ and ‘Perch’. An easily accessible key switch allows users to disable the lift and prevent unauthorized use.
Purchase Your Stair lift from the Right Dealer
It is important to purchase exterior stair lifts from an experienced, licensed and accredited dealer in accessibility products. This would ensure benefits such as the best prices, free shipping, installation support, and full-time technical services to keep your equipment in perfect working condition.